Sunday, October 28, 2012

Another week (transfers)

Well, this week was transfers, and as usual it was a crazy week, full of stress, lots of crazy last minute changes, meeting the new missionaries, and now, getting released as an Assistant... Man, it was a week just full of emotions but a lot of learning as well. I've now finished being an Assistant and these last three transfers have probably been some of the most intense months of my life, spiritually, physically, emotionally, everything! I have learned so much serving in this capacity and I'm going to miss it, but I'm more than willing to be released as well. It reminded me of what Dad said about being released as Bishop, he mentioned a leadership training where they said our time serving is limited and that one day it will be over. Well, my service as a missionary thankfully continues but I will miss the close association I've had with the Matsumoris and the opportunity I've had to work and care for so many missionaries. It has been a lesson on love, understanding, seeing people with God's eyes, and a ton more. Not to mention the organizational and time management and leadership skills I've been blessed to have the opportunity to develop. It really was the craziest ride. Still, the work continues even if we serve in different capacities, and that brings me to these transfers.
Transfers brought no surprises for me, haha since I've known for quite awhile what was going to happen, but I'm pretty sure it shocked the rest of the mission. I will be staying in the English program and I will once again be a Zone Leader back with Elder Sanchez but this time in a different zone where there are only English Elders. Feelings and thoughts on the matter, well, it's going to be very different.... When I found out a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be returning to the Spanish program I was definitely saddened... I've loved the Spanish program, the people, the culture, the love, and everything about it, and now the Lord has called me another way... Being an Assistant and serving a mission has taught me the lesson of "the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." It's super sad to think that I'll probably never serve in a spanish ward again, or teach hispanic people... I honestly consider myself half hispanic! Still, I know the Lord has a work for me to do and it's been humbling to see Him direct my path. It's going to be a fun time!
This week also brought some other experiences, meeting with the new missionaries was of course incredible as usual. It's fun to be able to feel of their spirits and it's been interesting to see myself change with each testimony meeting. Each time we meet with them I've had the chance to bear testimony and it's been cool to see how my testimony and understanding of the Gospel has developed. I wish I could be where these missionaries are now, at least in some ways. I wish I had as much time left as them, but I am definitely grateful for the growth that I've been able to experience and I wouldn't trade that growth for anything in the world! Then I also got to teach with President and go on splits with him for an hour and a half. It was a cool opportunity to be able to receive counsel from him and just talk. He is an inspired man and I am so grateful that I've been able to serve so closely with him and learn from him.
Then there was also General Conference.... Man, that was a crazy experience as usual. I don't think I have ever received so much revelation, both for myself and for those under my stewardship, as I have in these two last conferences. I also particularly enjoyed the talk by Elder Holland, as I'm sure everyone did, because it was the same talk that he gave when I was in the MTC, two weeks into my mission. I felt it was directed very personally to me, that the Lord had given me that talk as a direction at the beginning of my mission and that this was the interview near the end to see what I've done with it. There's still a lot left to ponder on that one...
I'm really not sure what more to say. It's weird, being released from an Assistant feels like the end of a major part of the mission, a huge learning experience, and it's made me change so much... My depth of gratitude for the mission just gets deeper everyday. It is such a gift to be able to serve the Lord full time, I always knew that it was never much of a sacrifice and more of a blessing, but that understanding has been deepened and amplified in the last few months. I am just grateful that the Lord decided to let me serve Him as a missionary. Each day is, has been, and will be a gift straight from Heaven. I'm excited to serve more closely with all of these Elders and to be able to grow in my love for them even more. It's amazing how much you can come to care for all of these missionaries... Just as God lets us feel His love for the people He teach, He has definitely let me feel His love for all of these missionaries. It's honestly pretty overwhelming, 126 missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment